#blog_message b, #blog_message b > span { font-weight: bold !important; } Gaming efficiently - Blogs - compLexity Gaming Forums

Antimage

Gaming efficiently

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone, coL.Antimage here!

As a co-op student, I am working full time (9-5) from January to August of this year. This means that I'll have to schedule Starcraft II practice during the week around my work schedule, my travel time, and the limited time that I get to sleep each weekday night ^^

Back in beta, I was doing the same, working full time and was still recognized as a top North American player. So I want to tell you my secret on how to get really good, really fast. Granted, this doesn't work if you're a silver player who has to work on mechanics and macro, but if you have a good grasp of what units beat what and when to get each building (a diamond or masters player), then you are already well on your way.

What you want to do is with each game you play (whether it is 3, 4 or 5 games a day), you want to pick out one thing that seemed to crop up in all those games that seemed to recur where you could improve upon easily by making it a conscious factor. For example, if you transfer workers too late after you expand (which really helps in increasing your income in Starcraft II), you make a conscious note to yourself that at 850/1,000 HP of your nexus, you take 2 rows of probes and move them to your expansion. This is straightforward enough as it applies to your first expansion, so it's a one-time thing you do every game. Eventually, it'll become automatic and you won't have to think about it at all.

Of course, don't just FORGET it the next day. Keep doing it, keep thinking about it if it doesn't seem automatic. It doesn't matter if you don't do it every game, as long as you remember when you're not doing it and give yourself a mental note to NOT forget the next game. It might take you one day to do this, or three days, or even a week, where you are doing it unconsciously and mechanically. This is the key to becoming a better player. No person can possibly think of doing the 50 things they do in a game at once, but if they break down the most straightforward and generic tactics and make them automatic parts of their regular gameplay, then suddenly a higher skill level doesn't seem as out of reach.

I myself have trained that way, and these are the things I do "automatically" which make me stand apart from other master league/professional protoss players
- bind all nexuses to 1 key and keep all nexus energy below max at all points of the game - thereby getting upgrades much faster
- periodically make hallucinated to phoenixes to scout the map for any additional expansions
- add gateways with every new nexus you create
- build pylons (1 or 2 or even 3 depending on the stage of the game) after a wave of warpgate warp-ins.

Even little things have to be trained such as:
- chronoboost your warpgate tech constantly in PvP
- build probes constantly for the first 5-10 minutes of the game (and thereafter, depending on how the game is going)

The list goes on and on, but as you see, there are many things you can do to improve your game, and you'll be doing yourself a favor by breaking it down and giving yourself little things to work on every few days.

Submit "Gaming efficiently" to Digg Submit "Gaming efficiently" to del.icio.us Submit "Gaming efficiently" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gaming efficiently" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

really nice blog vic! great tips and insight
    Great advice
    this sorta thing can definitely be generalized to apply to other games
    Represent University of Waterloo!