Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coL team... jaded?

1. Default coL team... jaded?

I'm definitely a complexity supporter and I enjoyed following your success during the 1.6 times (sry but source is not competitive, its running around spraying blindly and randomly chipping someone in the head), but $140,000 by January 1st is very unrealistic, especially with the holiday season and the downturn of the economy.
    I know that "professional" gamers such as the coL lineup ENJOY (notice how I didn't use the word NEED) the additional income they make from gaming and tournaments, but have they become so jaded that they will not play the game for the sheer competitive nature? Thousands of fans, unheard of popularity from playing a game and the ability to influence an entire community with a single interview... is this not enough to strive to be the best at a video game let alone anything?

Now I realize that its human nature to be selfish and greedy and people have a tendency to get used to a life-style, in which when removed from problems arise. And where has all the previous money gone? I mean coL lived in a house provided by Jason Lake (rent free, I assume), were sponsored to fly around the world entering and winning tournaments (leaving only food as an expense), and previous to all of this, they were all probably living at home with no major responsibilities or expenses. So I wonder where all the money they received from CGS salary, tournament winnings, and the Lake fund went.

In todays gaming community, there are tons of gamers that play for just as much as the coL team and there are even pro teams that play and compete with coL that do not receive/expect payment except for tournament winnings.

So back to my original question.

Has coL players become so jaded that they refuse to play a game they love if payment isn't dealt out? Is it all about the money at this point and not the fun or competitive atmosphere of the game?

2. Default

1st

Im very interested in intelligent responses, although i am sure flaming is incoming

Blog Entries

i think you forgot that this is their job. they love their job. i know because they wouldnt be so good at it if they didnt have the passion. if sumhow every tournament in cs died and they couldnt play professionally sumhow then they would probably settle for other jobs. would that mean they would stop playing cs? hell no. why do u think cgs let the players play 1.6 instead of just source? because the players love 1.6!!! they played source because they wanted to better professional gaming. to take it to the next level. i dont see anything wrong in that personally...its not like they are like, "ZOMG I HATE COMPETING IN GAMES FOR MONEY." they probably spent the cgs money on stuff that everyone else spends it on...they are human afterall. food, clothes, cars. i dont blame them...gettin payed to play can only be lived by the select few. too bad they dont hold nationwide tryouts for cs like they did for cgs.
    Last edited by tehfox; 12-05-2008 at 12:04 PM.

4. Default

uh...yeah. What tehfox said. The biggest point is that this is their job. A lot of them have put aside college because this is their chance to make money doing what they love. If they don't take the money from all of this then they have nothing to live off of. I understand what you were TRYING to say but the fact that its their job invalidates the entire argument.

i can't believe that anyone could say something like that about these guys. They put their lives on hold for the cgs and to further progress professional gaming, but you have to realize that this was their only form of income. They have bills to pay and now they are all out of a job. I wouldn't fault any of them if they left the game to pursue other things, and you shouldn't either. I'm not saying I want them too, but you have to be realistic here. People have to make a living, and most of these guys are 22-25. They need some form of steady income.

Quote Originally Posted by tehfox View Post
    i think you forgot that this is their job. they love their job. i know because they wouldnt be so good at it if they didnt have the passion. if sumhow every tournament in cs died and they couldnt play professionally sumhow then they would probably settle for other jobs. would that mean they would stop playing cs? hell no. why do u think cgs let the players play 1.6 instead of just source? because the players love 1.6!!! they played source because they wanted to better professional gaming. to take it to the next level. i dont see anything wrong in that personally...its not like they are like, "ZOMG I HATE COMPETING IN GAMES FOR MONEY." they probably spent the cgs money on stuff that everyone else spends it on...they are human afterall. food, clothes, cars. i dont blame them...gettin payed to play can only be lived by the select few. too bad they dont hold nationwide tryouts for cs like they did for cgs.
    Truth .

DTG your an absolute idiot just get off the forums
    /// ` r i o t /// coL fan since 2004 [C09]

DTG something you don't get is...if I play Counter-Strike 11 hours a day without getting paid..how will I play it tommorow if I can't even pay for my electricity bill...do you understand my point?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0ne View Post
    DTG something you don't get is...if I play Counter-Strike 11 hours a day without getting paid..how will I play it tommorow if I can't even pay for my electricity bill...do you understand my point?
    LOL <3 u

I don't think coL.cs would want to take a step back and not give their players salaries. Plus I'm sure the $140,000 that they are trying to generate is for travel expenses to 2009 lan tournaments (like CPL in Dubai). Plus providing your players with salary is crucial to the success of your team. If players aren't dedicated and have other priorities (like making a living) then they won't be able to put as much time or effort into counter-strike.

Anyways, I'm sure coL we know will be back playing soon.