Thread: Frequent FPS/Sound stutter lags in all games

Blog Entries

Default Frequent FPS/Sound stutter lags in all games

I have been experiencing severe, and frequent FPS and sound stuttering lags of which I have only experienced since I installed my 9400GT (though a fair bit after) from a 7300LE, which was during last year's winter.

The problem is that during gameplay (and in Windows I believe sometimes), at some interval the game will lag, often accompanied by an unresponsive mouse and "looping" sound for all sound for perhaps around a few seconds--then game returns to normal performance. The two games that I am sure is affected by this, is Source and Battlefield 2. Outside of games, Windows Media Player has lagged as well.

My power supply barely meets the requirements of the 9400GT being 300W but my PSU having aged for at least 2 years+. My system meets the requirements of the games I play--drivers are up to date (or I believe drivers that don't lag severely on mouse movement). I do not believe anything in the background is interfering with the performance of active applications based on the fact that it lags all the time. This of course, is a non-gaming PC (but previously it performed fine without these problems).

Does anyone know what is the specific or general cause for this issue? I really do hope that this isn't a hardware issue, but I am quite sure it is, logically. If so, I have no option to bare with it until I obtain a new computer or PSU, which would probably be in the distant future.

Thank you in ahead of time for your read/responses.
    Josh "Spikey00" Y.
    My lonely forums.

Gonna need a HW + OS rundown.

Blog Entries

Oh whoops, the profile doesn't cover everything.

Non-Gaming PC

Vista Ultimate x64 from XP x84
    300W PSU

i820 Pentium D
    9400GT
    3GB RAM
    250GB HD
    No Soundcard.

Please keep in mind that everything excluding the OS upgrade, 1GB module of RAM, 9400GT from 7300LE, everything came with the computer, and I have not experienced any problems prior to this recent year.

In opposed to hardware, I guess the other possible origin of the problem is perhaps the OS.

Thanks for your reply.
    Josh "Spikey00" Y.
    My lonely forums.

play the game dont let the game play you

idk why i said that sorry lul.

If everything is working correctly, I'd say a power supply upgrade might solve your issues. The bare minimum is never enough when it comes to PSU's. Also, running vista on that machine? You're a brave man. Have you always been running vista?

Blog Entries

Vista Ultimate x64 from XP x84

I had 32 bit XP Media Center, upgraded to Ultimate 64 bit.

I can say it was struggling a bit with Vista, but my computer should be able to handle Vista fairly well (being 4.6 lowest "Windows Experience Index" subscore). OFC I waited at least a year plus to see if the in-game issues of performance were alleviated, of which I have heard were addressed with patches/etc.
    Josh "Spikey00" Y.
    My lonely forums.