Thread: To Jason Lake

1. Default To Jason Lake

Hello coL community, I've not posted on here or really been here before but i checked it out today after the recent addition of Naniwa to coL.sc2 and I've had a question arise about something Mr. Lake said i believe it was in "e-@thletes" where it was said that if the CGS were to die he would give up complexity and quit, i would like to inquire as to what the reasoning was behind keeping complexity together as an organization after the collapse of the CGS

I actually said eSports would probably die. I was incorrect, but not far off because the following years were pretty slow and only in the last 18 months have we seen a true resurgence.

yeah the thing about cgs was that it chose non of the right games, even at the peak of cgs source was still not even close to 1.6 and keeping it cgs and no other tournaments made it hard to choose to switch to a lesser game and play there, also choosing games like doa, when streetfighter/mvc was bigger also, then nobody really cared about racing / fifa. since the fall of cgs its really shown which are the true elite games in their genre and what games that are bearly holding on for competitive life. it would be like saying if UFC died that mma would die, its just silly to say such a thing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    its just silly to say such a thing
    overgeneralisation and a bit harsh since this was maybe the best chance progaming has had until now. Biggest problem with CGS was that when the corporate people came in they wanted changes that didn't work and made the whole thing look silly.They threw away money in some of the dumbest ways possible... :/

The biggest kicker that brought "esports" back was the fact that RTS is so huge, IE sc2..Console, etc. would always continue to stay big even if the teams are professional, because so many people like to do the MLG thing even if they don't win.

I personally think that it is inevitable for esports to grow simply because the coming generations will likely have more access to technology which should translate into more people playing games and since competition is embedded into human nature this will naturally translate into more & larger tournaments.

I also think that until the emergence of esports people with mental prowess haven't really had many venues of competition. Up until this emergence the majority of competitions (probably still) were all dependent primarily on physical prowess (basketball, baseball, soccer, etc) and as esports grow it will probably attract many people who have the drive for competition but favor games of the mind rather then the body.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    yeah the thing about cgs was that it chose non of the right games, even at the peak of cgs source was still not even close to 1.6 and keeping it cgs and no other tournaments made it hard to choose to switch to a lesser game and play there, also choosing games like doa, when streetfighter/mvc was bigger also, then nobody really cared about racing / fifa. since the fall of cgs its really shown which are the true elite games in their genre and what games that are bearly holding on for competitive life. it would be like saying if UFC died that mma would die, its just silly to say such a thing
    there was ALOT mroe wrong with cgs then just what games they picked.
    "I want more aggressive female fans" - DRG

Well we're glad you stayed around coL. 1