Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complexity's Thoughts on the MLG PPV system?

Hybrid View

1. Default Complexity's Thoughts on the MLG PPV system?

Considering your participating in the CGS, I was wondering what the admins and players of complexity think of the recently announced PPV format for MLG's winter arena?

After reading EG's response on TL I would also like to know coL's view.

We completely understand the reasoning behind the move but felt the price point wasn't right for this phase of eSports. We couldn't, in good faith, ask our fans to sign up under our referral account at this time. We support MLG and WANT the organization to be profitable and will definitely reconsider the referral program (or similar endeavors by MLG) in the future.

(That being said, on a personal note I'm 100% buying the PPV and can't wait for the event.)

Blog Entries

The PPV model will be absolutely perfect for Barcrafts and whatnot, but I feel that the price point is a little high. I mean if it's more expensive to watch all MLGs in HD than GSLs, they're kinda pushing it imo. /shrug

I'll end up buying it regardless (as soon as my commission checks start rolling in - YEAHHHHH)
    Steve "awakeN" Yeager
    Co-Founder/Co-Leader of Asperity Gaming
    Knoxville, TN

Hey-about what 1 was saying, i don't think that the viewership number would go up any if the cost was 10$ compared to the 20$. The problem for most young viewers (talking about <17 yrs old) is the logistics of paying the money, not the actual cost, as most of us don't have paypal/credit cards. I think the majority of the older audience will pay this fee. If you are in a position to watch MLG normally and keep up with the scene like this, honestly 20 dollars isn't a whole lot to most people.

just my two cents on it.

-BrinkeR

Blog Entries

Luckily, the big difference between the CGS and what MLG is doing is that with MLG you can at least try it for the weekend and if you don't like it, oh well, it was only $20. The CGS forced you (if you really wanted to see it) to get DirecTV, which, as most people know is a complete hassle if its even available in your area, not to mention the fact that you were pretty screwed if you didn't like it.

Blog Entries

And don't forget that MLG actually knows what it's doing.
    Steve "awakeN" Yeager
    Co-Founder/Co-Leader of Asperity Gaming
    Knoxville, TN

I feel like MLG really screwed themselves with this decision. Not only is the price point too high but the event also is the same weekend as assembly, which will be free to watch. A TL thread right now has a poll for how many people will buy the MLG PPV this weekend and 88% said no, which is saying something. Not to mention big organizations like coL and EG will not be participating in the referral program. I personally have never been a big fan of MLG as a company and I feel like SC2 was it's saving grace. This was a bonehead move and I hope the community's response is negative enough for them to change their minds about this PPV style for events.

I'm gonna pay it...

Spoiler below. Click to show.

The way I see it, enough people will still pay for it because they want to see the games. I don't agree with the price, but will try this first event out.

If I am not satisfied with the content they offer for $20, then I will not pay for another event.

Esports will continue to grow regardless of this, and MLG will do the right thing.