Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its ARTS not MOBA

1. Default Its ARTS not MOBA

MOBA was invented by Riot, and like most thing from them isn't that great as Multiplayer online battle arena could be many games like counter strike, WoW, or even chess. Action real time strategy actually describes a game like dota without thinking about any other game.

I like MOBA... Once a term gets coined, I don't think you will get it changed.

I think they want to be their own genre and be unique. If they were grouped with those other games, then they would lose that uniqueness. I'm perfectly fine with MOBA

Blog Entries

for me, it will always be the "dota genre", f LoL and and HoN (meh, HoN was okay, but DotA 1/2 is still the way to go).

Quote Originally Posted by ciaiei View Post
    for me, it will always be the "dota genre", f LoL and and HoN (meh, HoN was okay, but DotA 1/2 is still the way to go).
    I never liked the term MOBA. It sounds too awkward and NOT DotA. I will always prefer to call it an Action RTS to people who don't know what DotA is. But DotA should be the one and only term, imo.

I always say MOBA just because I think it rolls off the tongue better and it caught on before ARTS (at least to me personally), though I know it's a Riot Games term and probably not an accurate description anyway. I think most people are familiar with the acronym MOBA by now for them to not be used at least interchangeably.

7. Default

Spit-wad knowledge bomb comin' at ya. Brace yourselves.

Multiplayer Online Battle Area is a terrible name for the genre. Compare it to other popular genres:
    Real-Time Strategy
    First Person Shooter
    Role Playing Game

MOBA:
    Multiplayer? No shit, it's an online game. This doesn't differentiate it from any other genre.
    Online? No shit, it's 2012. Every other genre is also online.
    Battle? So... the other genres don't have battles?
    Arena? Alright, not awful, but it sounds a lot like the Sandbox genre.

These terms say nothing about the game that people wouldn't already assume. I don't see the need for a genre name to begin with. Plenty of people naturally started calling LoL and HoN "dota-like" games, or something very similar. That's fine by me. Action RTS is certainly a better name than MOBA. The genre was based on RTS games, and one could argue that it has more action than normal RTS games (more fighting, less building). Even incorporating the name Aeon of Strife (AoS) would be a nice tribute to the original Starcraft map.

There's a reason only LoL players use the term MOBA. LoL players are too nooby and naive to know any better, proven by the fact that they're still playing their game of checkers while the rest of us are chess grandmasters playing a real game. They are a lesser form of human being, and their language reflects that.

Spit-wad knowledge bomb dropped. Peace out, jabronis.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FLUFFNSTUFF View Post
    I never liked the term MOBA. It sounds too awkward and NOT DotA. I will always prefer to call it an Action RTS to people who don't know what DotA is. But DotA should be the one and only term, imo.
    I echo with what FluffNStuff has said.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit-wad View Post
    Spit-wad knowledge bomb comin' at ya. Brace yourselves.

Multiplayer Online Battle Area is a terrible name for the genre. Compare it to other popular genres:
    Real-Time Strategy
    First Person Shooter
    Role Playing Game

MOBA:
    Multiplayer? No shit, it's an online game. This doesn't differentiate it from any other genre.
    Online? No shit, it's 2012. Every other genre is also online.
    Battle? So... the other genres don't have battles?
    Arena? Alright, not awful, but it sounds a lot like the Sandbox genre.

These terms say nothing about the game that people wouldn't already assume. I don't see the need for a genre name to begin with. Plenty of people naturally started calling LoL and HoN "dota-like" games, or something very similar. That's fine by me. Action RTS is certainly a better name than MOBA. The genre was based on RTS games, and one could argue that it has more action than normal RTS games (more fighting, less building). Even incorporating the name Aeon of Strife (AoS) would be a nice tribute to the original Starcraft map.

There's a reason only LoL players use the term MOBA. LoL players are too nooby and naive to know any better, proven by the fact that they're still playing their game of checkers while the rest of us are chess grandmasters playing a real game. They are a lesser form of human being, and their language reflects that.

Spit-wad knowledge bomb dropped. Peace out, jabronis.
    sick bro

10. Default

http://www.dotmmo.com/top-moba-games-9341.html
    here is a full collection of moba games. upcoming, hot, all included.