Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeezing Your Way In

Default Squeezing Your Way In

Yes, I know, the topic title may be misleading to some people with a slightly sexual thought process, but steering away from that I'll get to the actual point of this thread.

So, this is something I've been curious on how some people manage to do. Organizations like compLexity always have a staff that supports them immensely, but how does someone who might have great ideas join into this coveted group of individuals? Personally, I've tried many ways of doing this and almost always have they failed. (Probably a good 100 to 1 ratio is something that could be used here.) So, I figured I would try asking other people how they may manage to do a feat like this. In all honesty, I might be approaching it the wrong way, saying the wrong words, giving off the wrong message or something I haven't even thought of. I'm sure that just being around from the beginning or being a loyal supporter has something to do with it, but there has to be something else that average people with big ideas could do to make it into that small circle.

I figure before I end it I should give my reasoning for asking this. I have ideas on how to improve things for many different organizations. Some ideas are big, such as a website overhaul or a new branch of an existing organization, and some ideas are small, like the different icons I made for the compLexity forums. Obviously, these are ideas but I've always tried to pitch them to people to see how they would work and see if I could manage to do more for that group later. I suppose I might not be pitching the idea in the right way or something to that effect, but that is why I figured I would ask here anyway since I don't know how to change at all.

Anyway, hope someone might be able to help with this. I'm expecting to get a bunch of meaningless comments but hopefully someone will take the time to actually give me some incite on this.

2. Default

wrong rcon password maybe

Blog Entries

so you're asking how to join the staff?

well for me it was quite simple
    fan -> loyal fan -> extremely dedicated fan -> coL-s

Quote Originally Posted by ciaiei View Post
    so you're asking how to join the staff?

well for me it was quite simple
    fan -> loyal fan -> extremely dedicated fan -> coL-s
    Well, its a bit more then that but I suppose that is the basic concept.

I more meant something that would work somewhat across the board with some tweaks. Since one of the places that I would like to try for I haven't bothered with yet because I feel that if I screw up once that ruins my chances later on.

You need to be looking in irc to be honest everyday some new team that is building a franchise that might be the next big thing is looking for staff. Joining the coL staff is hard my friend Trigga used to be on the coL staff and it was a demanding job to have. For just sitting online is what he did so thats why he got fired he really didnt od much lol. My point is have a one on one with jason and talk to him on a down time? I mean serisly just pm him and say hey i have some really great ideas for you and your staff on how to inprove something... and its very simple. I have pmed jason many of times and have always got a pm back when he is on down time and sitting there. Of course right now may not be the best time honestly because of everything that is going on. But this is something that if you know how to do.. you take it to the next level and GO FOR IT.. Dont pm the staff of coL because to be honest nothing against any of them they dont care if u have an idea. Because of right now they have more important things to do for the team. Going to the head of the organization is something you need to do. Be fearless and say hey " I have something that will help you and , ive been a fan for this lonG. I've had these ideas for a long time i would love to talk to you just for a few mins, when ever you can." and wait for the pm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    You need to be looking in irc to be honest everyday some new team that is building a franchise that might be the next big thing is looking for staff. Joining the coL staff is hard my friend Trigga used to be on the coL staff and it was a demanding job to have. For just sitting online is what he did so thats why he got fired he really didnt od much lol. My point is have a one on one with jason and talk to him on a down time? I mean serisly just pm him and say hey i have some really great ideas for you and your staff on how to inprove something... and its very simple. I have pmed jason many of times and have always got a pm back when he is on down time and sitting there. Of course right now may not be the best time honestly because of everything that is going on. But this is something that if you know how to do.. you take it to the next level and GO FOR IT.. Dont pm the staff of coL because to be honest nothing against any of them they dont care if u have an idea. Because of right now they have more important things to do for the team. Going to the head of the organization is something you need to do. Be fearless and say hey " I have something that will help you and , ive been a fan for this lonG. I've had these ideas for a long time i would love to talk to you just for a few mins, when ever you can." and wait for the pm back.
    Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries

Some/most organizations its about who you know, or if your known. Second, make sure you can provide what you say you can. Whether its contributing idea's or what have you.

I personally have tried my hand at admining (caleague for one, AND cevo, neither took well, though I moved up extremely fast) - Now i'm doing stuff for gotfrag - and I got that gig just from always paying attention and being persistant. You may get 1,000 "no's" but all it takes is one "yes" to get ya moving in the right direction.

Keep at it!

Wait, I didn't get fired, after an update from a previous website there wasn't much work. Everything got automated and basically it was pointless of me being there for the team, I guess thats how Jason felt =[ but i'll always come back and work again and help. I was always on my job! and loved working for the team.

If you're talented and dedicated we can always find room for you.

PM coL-s|amies on IRC and discuss what you'd like to do.

Thanks for your support!

Blog Entries

Please feel free to PM me on IRC and we can discuss anything you'd like. As Jake said, we always have room!