Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter 4

Update. I qualified at the store I played at and made it to Round 2. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RLWolf View Post
    Update. I qualified at the store I played at and made it to Round 2. Wish me luck.
    I made it to the finals of my tourney, and pulled the choke of the century. Third place.

Well it sucked for me because im use to joysticks not controllers.. and i had to use default controls which i wasn't even use to. but yeah it was a lot of fun.

My lil brother made it to the next round lol. (Because he was use to default controls and he was using Balrog.)

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mannnyd View Post
    Well it sucked for me because im use to joysticks not controllers.. and i had to use default controls which i wasn't even use to. but yeah it was a lot of fun.

My lil brother made it to the next round lol. (Because he was use to default controls and he was using Balrog.)

Good Luck.
    Yeah. The arcade controllers are need if you want reach the top. I don't even want to try to get used to playing on the regular gamepad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    I made it to the finals of my tourney, and pulled the choke of the century. Third place.
    Yeah, my friend got third. Said that the guy he played was really cheap and people were calling him for it.
    XBL -- Zeppelyn EX || PSN ​-- zn-1

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
    Yeah, my friend got third. Said that the guy he played was really cheap and people were calling him for it.
    Your friend (and everyone calling out the winner) is a scrub, probably deserved to lose because of this, and likely will never get far if he keeps on playing with the mindset he has.

I lost because I choked, I fucked up, I let the guy who got first walk-up throw me far too many times after I failed to bait him on wakeup. It's not because the other dude was doing some sort of strat that he shouldn't be doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Your friend (and everyone calling out the winner) is a scrub, probably deserved to lose because of this, and likely will never get far if he keeps on playing with the mindset he has.

I lost because I choked, I fucked up, I let the guy who got first walk-up throw me far too many times after I failed to bait him on wakeup. It's not because the other dude was doing some sort of strat that he shouldn't be doing.
    This is how he said it happened. He said that the other guy would use the Hadoken, and then when my friend would jump over it, the other guy would do some move (forgot what he said), and would knock him down and then when he got up, he'd throw my friend.

My friend was using Sagat, and his opp. was using Ryu. Then when the game was over, the guy laughed and walked off.

That's his story, so I'm not defending or going against it.

This is how he said it happened. He said that the other guy would use the Hadoken, and then when my friend would jump over it, the other guy would do some move (forgot what he said), and would knock him down and then when he got up, he'd throw my friend.

My friend was using Sagat, and his opp. was using Ryu. Then when the game was over, the guy laughed and walked off.

That's called a fireball trap.

Throw fireballs (in Ryu's case: Hadouken) in a certain pattern and at certain speeds, and eventually your opponent will try and jump, you want your opponent to jump over one of the fireballs that is either very slow, so he lands on it, or that you recover quickly from, so you can dragon punch (Shoryuken) him out of the air.

Throwing an opponent on wakeup is actually a VERY risky maneuver in SF4, considering you have the option of a reversal dragon punch to get out of it.

If he was actually calling his opponent cheap, you need to introduce your friend to the book "Playing to Win" by David Sirlin, it's a free online book now (I have the actual paperback.) and I already linked to it in the thread. If he wants to get good at the game, he NEEDS to shed the mindset that his opponent could ever "be cheap" within the game's rules.

Street Fighter doesn't work like Counter-Strike, there's no single in-game move, tactic, or strategy that is banned. If there was, the entire character would need to be banned. Such as Akuma from Super Street Fighter II Turbo and his air fireball.

To put it another way, a lot of people of the scrub mindset like to play by "house rules" saying throwing is banned. They think it's "cheap", equate it to "cheating" blah blah etc. This is like pub servers in CS banning the AWP or Auto-Sniper. Perfectly fine tools and guns that don't actually upset the game's balance, but people don't like to lose to it, so they deem it "cheap" or "dishonorable".

Well im not reading what Amp said lol too long. Anyways, Zeppelin ur friend pretty much got baited. Your friend is pretty much gettin impatient and just jumping whenever he feels like it and gets shoryukened. He was using Sagat!? come on, if your friend was a little smarter he was easily keep throwing tigers (fireballs). That would be a easy match for Sagat, he shouldnt get impatient and get baited. he would have easily won that.

either that or the other guy was just better than him, it would of gotten either way but, he should of turtled and let the other guy come to him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mannnyd View Post
    Well im not reading what Amp said lol too long. Anyways, Zeppelin ur friend pretty much got baited. Your friend is pretty much gettin impatient and just jumping whenever he feels like it and gets shoryukened. He was using Sagat!? come on, if your friend was a little smarter he was easily keep throwing tigers (fireballs). That would be a easy match for Sagat, he shouldnt get impatient and get baited. he would have easily won that.

either that or the other guy was just better than him, it would of gotten either way but, he should of turtled and let the other guy come to him
    Honestly, no idea what was going on. I was working, so I only know what was told to me, lol.

From what he also said is that the guy was playing completely differently until he got to my friend, then he started doing all that. I think his words were, "he played fairly until he got to me". Either way, technically, the GameStop officials said that you're supposed to show good sportsmanship during the matches and what not, but I was told that he was talking crap and then laughed and walked off after he won.

Meh, I need to play more though.